Rowing Performance Centres
About Rowing Performance Centres
Rowing NZ has four Rowing Performance Centres, tasked with developing athletes capable of representing New Zealand at the World Rowing Championships and Olympic Games.
Rowing NZ employs staff to run the daily operation of the four Rowing Performance Centres with the support of the local RPC board. A key outcome of the RPC is the "Increased quality of athletes available to the High Performance Programme".
Broad Rowing Performance Centre Objectives
The broader key objectives for these centres are as follows:
- To develop pre-elite talent and especially the athletes expected to represent NZ during the next Olympic cycle and beyond
- To provide a 12 month, year on year individual athlete development program
- To provide a clear high performance pathway for aspiring Rowers and Coaches
- To assist local associations within the RPC catchment area with regional development of coaches and athletes
- To link tertiary institutions into the sport of rowing to enable facilitation of education/career pathways AND to enable proactive monitoring/support of key athletes within institutions.
RPC Geographic Catchment Areas
The following areas are the designated Geographic Catchment Areas for each RPC:
Auckland RPC: The Auckland Rowing Association.
Waikato RPC: The Waikato, Bay of Plenty and East Coast Rowing Associations.
Central RPC: The Marlborough, Wellington and Wanganui Rowing Associations.
Southern RPC: The Canterbury, Otago and Southland Rowing Associations.
Each year in the month of September, Rowing NZ runs RPC selection trials (on water racing in 1x or 2- and erg testing 5Km & 2Km) for athletes wishing to gain selection into our High Performance Programme. This trial is for athletes that haven't gained automatic selection. Athletes wishing to nominate to be considered for selection must contact the RPC team in which that are eligible (based on the club/assocation they row for as above). The standard for selection is high and therefore it is advisible that athletes wishing to gain selection should be in RPC organised training from May and complete the RPC winter testing.
For information regarding selection please contact the RPC team, their contact details are below.
Main RPC Contacts
|Auckland RPC||Ian Brightemail@example.com|
|Waikato RPC||Tom Stannardfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Central RPC||Marion Horwell|| |
|Southern RPC||John O'Connoremail@example.com|
|RPC Administrator||Michele Munrofirstname.lastname@example.org|